Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
Tangy Lauki Aloo Ki Sabji Recipe
The best part of the Tangy Lauki aloo ki sabji recipe is that it is primarily a summer veggie, but you can always find it in any season, thus rendering it an all-season vegetable.
If you have guests over and you don’t have anything cooked, this humble vegetable will be a day saver as you can use it whichever way you want to.
There cannot be a more versatile veggie than lauki/bottle gourd. You can cook it the way you want and it’ll still taste yummy.
You can make it with an ideal tomato curry recipe. You can serve it with roti chapati and rice for lunch and dinner or make it an Easy Dry Lauki Ki Sabji preparation that can be used to be served with puri or with parathas.
Lauki ki sabji is typically made in both dry and gravy versions and but this recipe that I am posting today belongs more towards the north Indian curry version.
This preparation contains lauki, potatoes, tomato and ginger with tempering of cumin and curry leaves. You can add an onion but that’s optional. Just throw in some salt, turmeric and red chilly, and your tangy lauki ki sabji curry is ready.
The Tangy Lauki aloo ki sabji recipe preparations is basically a simple and everyday gravy based made prepared with diced bottle gourd and potatoes in a tomato-based puree.
Lauki/bottle gourd can additionally be further used in a wide range of need-based preparations as well as fish recipes for which you can refer to the Masor Tenga (Assamese Fish Curry) Fish & Lau Recipe that has already been published on our website.
Lauki/bottle gourd is mostly bland in its taste, so if you want to enjoy the lauki aaloo ki sabji then you should try to make it a little tangy and spicy because unless it is so it will not give you that desired taste.
The preparation can be used by people who are fasting by replacing the salt with rock salt and omitting onion from the preparation.
Try variating the garnish between coriander and mint at different times to enjoy the individual flavours of coriander and mint leaves. You can alternatively use dill leaves also to get a variation in taste.
Though I am not a very big fan of lauki or bottle gourd I grew up eating this Tangy Lauki aloo ki sabji recipe preparation that my mother used to make in summers. Trust me the tangy taste used to turn this humble vegetable into the most sought after one in my house.
Mom used to sometimes serve Tangy Lauki aloo ki sabji recipe with rice or with khichdi. And either ways it would taste yummy.
This recipe additionally saves you a lot of time in the kitchen so in 20 minutes flat your cooking would be done without using much time.
The rest of the time, is time saved. You can devote time to your odd jobs or your work portfolios.
Don’t forget to share your views in the comment section about how you liked its taste and how simple it was for you to cook this.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 4 People
Cuisine: North Indian
Author: Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
How To Cook Easy Tangy Lauki Aloo Ki Sabji Recipe
- 2 tbsp mustard oil or olive oil
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 onion, finely chopped/grated (optional) (dont add onions if cooking for fast)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Everest Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3 tomato, chopped finely/grated
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 500 grams lauki/bottle gourd
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp FoodAllTime garam masala
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped (garnishing)
- In a cooker heat 2 tbsp mustard oil and saute curry leaves, cinnamon, cumin until it turns aromatic.
- Add 2 sprigs of curry leaves.
- As the curry leaves change colour add 1 onion (optional), 1 tsp ginger/garlic/ginger-garlic paste, and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, and salt.
- Add tomato and sauté until it turns soft and mushy.
- Sauté on low flame till it turns aromatic.
- Now add lauki and potatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Also, add 1 cup water and mix well.
- Cover and let it cook on medium flame. Allow 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Open and check on cooling. Adjust the consistency and add more water if required.
- Now add FoodAllTime garam masala and 2 tbsp coriander. Mix well.
- Finally, enjoy lauki ki sabji with chapati, paratha or rice.
- Firstly, if cooking the curry in a pressure cooker, just cook for 2 whistles.
- If coking in a kadhai then cover with lid and keep stirring after regular intervals till cooked.
- Also, chop the lauki and potaotes to the shape and size of your preference but both should be similar.
- Additionally, for gravy texture, you can increase the amount of water.
- Finally, lauki ki sabji recipe tastes great when prepared spicy.
You May Like To Try Out Other Lauki Recipes
- Lauki Ke Kofte Recipe लौकी के कोफ्ते
- How To Cook Easy Dry Lauki Ki Sabji Recipe
- Masor Tenga (Assamese Fish Curry) Fish & Lau Recipe
- Lauki Ka Halwa Recipe- Rich And Creamy Indian Dessert
You Might Like To Check Out Other Fasting Food Recipes
- Best Nutritious Singhara Atta Cheela Recipe [No Onion No Garlic Navratri Fasting/Vrat Recipe]
- How to Cook Kuttu Ka Paratha Recipe | Vrat Ka Paratha Recipe | Kuttu Ki Roti
- Kuttu Ke Pakode | Buckwheat Fritters | Kuttu Ki Vrat Ki Pakodi
- How To Cook Falahari Thalipeeth | Sabudana Thalipeet
- Phalhari Chutney | Vrat ki Chutney | Coriander Chutney
- Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabji
Recipe Name: Tangy Lauki Aloo Ki Sabji Recipe
Author: Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
Description: The best part of the Tangy Lauki aloo ki sabji recipe is that it is primarily a summer veggie, but you can always find it in any season, and enjoy it.
Preperation time: 10M
Cook Time: 10M
Total Time: 20M
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Ingredients: 2 tbsp mustard oil, 2 sprigs curry leaves, 1-inch cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin/jeera, 1 onion, finely chopped/grated (optional), 1 tsp ginger/garlic/ginger-garlic paste, ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp Everest Kashmiri red chilli powder, ¾ tsp salt, 3 tomato, chopped finely/grated, 2 potatoes chopped, 500 grams lauki/bottle gourd, 1 cup water, ¼ tsp FoodAllTime garam masala, 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped (garnishing)
Recipe Instructions: In a cooker heat 2 tbsp mustard oil and saute curry leaves, cinnamon, cumin until it turns aromatic. Add 2 sprigs of curry leaves. As the curry leaves change colour add 1 onion (optional), 1 tsp ginger/garlic/ginger-garlic paste and saute until it turns golden brown. Add turmeric, chilli powder, and salt. Add tomato and sauté until it turns soft and mushy. Sauté on low flame till it turns aromatic. Now add lauki and potatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Also, add 1 cup water and mix well. Cover and let it cook on medium flame. Allow 2 whistles on medium flame. Open and check on cooling. Adjust the consistency and add more water if required. Now add ¼ tsp garam masala and 2 tbsp coriander. Mix well. Finally, enjoy lauki ki sabji with chapati, paratha or rice.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Video thumbnail URL:
Ease of Cooking
User Review( votes)