Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. We may earn an affiliate commission if you order any product. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is loaded with vegetables and a delicious broth made from scratch!
Winters have set in, and nights and days have become quite chilly with the snowfalls in Himalayas’ high reaches.
And as I am, I don’t like to weigh myself down with loads of woolens as I love winters and the chill compared to summer.
Since I am not a woolly person, I make it up in my diet to have enough proteins to keep my metabolism up and going and guess what is my favourite food at this time of the year.
Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is perfect for any day of the week, especially in winters!
With the stock and the soup prepared from scratch in less than an hour, you will be craving for this often!
I often face this dilemma especially when you are not in the mood to cook extensive lunch or dinner.
This best chicken noodle soup recipe is a lifesaver and never fails to deliver. It is healthy, low-calorie, filling and packed with incredible flavors!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is loaded with vegetables and with a delicious broth that your family will love!
The soup is simple to cook, and will be ready in 30-minutes, and has all the comforting qualities you want in chicken noodle soup recipe crock pot.
To save time in the kitchen, you could use store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken too.
Egg noodles are my favorite but another pasta can be substituted and ensure to salt your soup to your taste.
There is no fixed list of herbs you can or cannot add. You can use celery, thyme, oregano, and mint…. It depends on which taste you prefer on your palate.
My family loved the homey, classic flavors in the soup and I love that it. It’s ready in a flash. It makes enough to stash half in the freezer for a rainy day or for winter cold and flu season.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This is one recipe that I frequently prepare, especially in winters, because it’s the best, most delicious, and healthiest way to get the veggies in with no one complaining.
The flavours from the broth/stock fill up my senses and warm my heart. Chicken is a pure protein that will keep your metabolism kicking and help you lose that extra weight besides being yummy too.
Egg noodles are an excellent choice for those who love carbs. Those who want to convert it into a keto meal can substitute it with zucchini noodles for a no-carb alternative.
There’s no requirement to use whole chicken to make the stock for this recipe. We cut corners in this soup by utilizing bone-in skinless chicken thighs.
No skimming broth is required. No need to prepare a separate broth. Just put everything in one soup in one pot, and all from the scratch soup will be ready!
The flavors that originate from preparing your chicken right into this soup from scratch are so much more satisfying than just adding pre-cooked chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken, but if you have some in your fridge then I would recommend that you use it up like this.
With a few chicken thighs, or wings thrown in, the extra time boiling them and getting all that flavor definitely wins over store-bought broth each time.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is an ideal meal for any day of the week with the stock and the soup prepared from raw chicken in under 45 minutes.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe From Scratch
We start this soup with an uncomplicated Soffritto (Sofrito or Mirepoix).
Soffritto is a mixture of lightly fried onions and garlic, usually with tomatoes and other vegetables, used as a base for soups and stews.
It is additionally known as the holy trinity of cooking. A simple combination of three aromatics:
- Celery (you may use other herbs)
The three are sautéed collectively to render the flavour base for this soup. For a hearty and flavourful soup, Chicken Thighs or Legs are ideal.
The darker meats along with the bones provide a stronger taste compared to white meat (breast), creating a richer broth with plenty of flavour. Add them in along with your broth (or stock) after your soffritto is done.
Crushed Bouillon is a voluntary add-in and goes in simultaneously with your broth rendering plenty of flavour.
Remember to check your salt though! If you don’t hold access to bouillon, you can use conventional stock powder or just plain omit it and proceed with what you have
Simmer the stock until the chicken is falling off the bone and separating and is cooked through.
Remove the chicken chunks, shred chicken with fork and throw the meat back into the soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup Loaded With Vegetables
What else do you put in the chicken noodle soup recipe?
This recipe is remarkably forgiving. You can add whatever you like or take out what you don’t like in this soup preparation.
Vegetables: Our recipe recommends corn kernels, green beans, and spinach. You could additionally combine cabbage, zucchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, or potatoes and peas.
You can use fresh peas in winters and frozen in summers. Add them in just before the spinach! You can make it your own.
Noodles: I prefer using vermicelli egg noodles in our soup, but you can employ angel hair, thin spaghetti, a fat noodle, simple Maggi noodle or any other type of pasta you like.
As with all cooking, remember to carefully taste test, then season with a little extra salt and pepper if needed.
Homemade Chicken Soup Add-Ins
Feel free to combine in fresh or dried herbs, such as thyme, celery, basil, oregano, or rosemary to the water while the chicken is cooking.
Furthermore, a good quantity of black cracked pepper or crushed red chili flakes to kick up the spice if you like heat.
Of course, nothing can complement a big bowl of comfort like a steaming hot bowl of soups and some fresh bread rolls or garlic bread to mop up the broth afterward.
Chicken Noodle Soup
An easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe that is healthy, tasty, and does not require much effort to cook.
If you want a restaurant-style chicken noodle soup, you can cook it at your home.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Serving: 6 people
Author: Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in, wings (or 8 legs)
- 2 quarts (liters) chicken stock or broth
- 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes, Maggi Chicken Stock crushed (adjust to your tastes)
- 7 oz (200 g) green beans, chopped in thirds
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 4 oz (120 g) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 quart (litre) of water, as needed
- 6 oz (200 g) vermicelli or egg/wheat noodles (or angel hair pasta)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion for 2 minutes, then combine garlic, celery, and carrots; cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the chicken thighs, crushed bouillon, green beans, and corn kernels to make the broth (stock). Top up with water if required and cover all of the ingredients.
- Increase heat and bring the pot to a boil for approximately 4 minutes.
- Partially cover the pot with a lid, reduce heat, and leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and separates from the bones.
- Transfer chicken to a platter and shred the meat with a fork; and discard the bones.
- Add the chicken back into the soup along with the noodles. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes while occasionally stirring to separate and evenly distribute noodles in the soup.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and leave to wilt in the soup (approximately 3 minutes, pushing leaves into the liquid with the wooden spoon). Mix parsley through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken Noodle Soup FAQs
What can I append to chicken noodle soup for still more flavor?
You are preparing your chicken in broth supplies, which will render it with great flavor. But to kick it up a notch, blend in 1 tbsp of chicken bouillon granules. You can alternatively save your chicken bones and vegetable scraps to make broth for your subsequent soup!
How do you retain the tenderness of the chicken?
To restrict your chicken from drying out, separate it from the broth when tender. Let cool, shred, and set apart while you complete making your soup. Then, render the chicken back to the hot soup when you’re willing to eat. You can also work on velveting your chicken to furnish it with extra tenderness!
Can I cook this soup with chicken breasts?
Yes! If you prefer, substitute the chicken thighs with bone-in chicken breasts. Once they look cooked, remove the chicken breast, set it on a plate, cool, and shred.
Is chicken noodle soup good for you?
Not only is chicken noodle soup a feel-good dish, but it’s also good for you, too! It’s packed with protein and vegetables and will keep you hydrated when you’re feeling sick. If you’re feeling under the weather, warm up with these foods to eat when you’re feeling sick!
Can I add lemon juice and bay leaves to my chicken noodle soup?
Sure you can add lemon juice and bay leaves to my chicken noodle soup as per your taste and serve warm.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup In The Instant Pot
The code to good chicken noodle soup is to obtain the broth from scratch utilizing chicken with skin and bones.
My son always made his soup with bone-in chicken, loads of carrots, onions, and celery, sometimes a parsnip for added flavor.
The result is always the best and tastiest broth, and my favorite part was eternally the noodles—oodles of noodles, the more extra, the more enjoyable.
This Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is almost the same as above, but it demands less time in comparison, and the soup is just as unbelievable, packed with tons of flavor.
It’s unnecessary to use a whole chicken, but you’ll need about 2 lbs of chicken with skin and bones.
You will require at least one chicken breast so that you have some to shred subsequently to add back to the soup later.
The most significant advantage of employing the Instant Pot to make this soup is, of course, the time factor. It needs 7 minutes to prepare the chicken for that delightful broth.
Someone questioned me if the food prepared in the Instant Pot is bland, and I think the truth is the exact opposite of it. I observe the flavors are richer and much more extensive.
When you remove that lid after cooking, and the aromas tap your nose, you won’t be capable of waiting till you have tasted the soup.
One thing to note is, if you do not want to end up with mushy noodles, then do not cook the noodles with the chicken on the soup cycle. Noodles cook quickly anyway, so it’s not necessary.
This chicken noodle soup instant pot recipe is made from scratch and in a fraction of the time.
Gratifying and delicious, stuffed with noodles and chicken, this soup will warm its way into your heart.
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp thyme (dry), 1 tbsp if (fresh)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped, 1 tsp (if dry)
- 4 cups chicken broth no added sodium
- 2 lbs chicken with skin and bones
- 1 chicken breast
- 4 cups water to (soak the chicken & veggies)
- 5 oz uncooked egg noodles, (approximately 2 cups)
- Set your Instant Pot on to the saute setting.
- Append the unsated butter and cook until it melts. Combine in the onion and celery with carrots and saute for 3 minutes approximately until the onion softens and turns translucent.
- Throw in some salt and pepper as seasoning, add the thyme, parsley, oregano, and stir.
- Now gently combine in the chicken broth. Append the chicken pieces and add another four more cups of water.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to the Soup setting, and initiate the timer to 7 min.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is over, tarry until the natural release cycle is complete. It should take approximately 10 minutes.
- Meticulously unlock and separate the lid from the instant pot.
- Separate the chicken pieces from the soup and shred them with forks.
- Combine the noodles into the soup and fix the Instant Pot to the saute setting anew—Cook for extra 6 minutes uncovered, or until the noodles are fully cooked.
- Turn off the Instant Pot by using the ‘CANCEL’ button.
- Append the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot (to maintain the chicken’s tenderness, they are added back again to the soup when you are ready to serve), taste for seasoning, and adjust salt as necessary.
- Garnish with additional parsley if preferred and serve hot.
Chicken Noodle Soup In The Instant Pot FAQs
What is an Instant Pot?
Instant Pot is a multi-cooker. It’s like having 7 separate appliances all rolled in one! It does the job of a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, etc.
I don’t possess an Instant Pot, can I still make this soup?
Absolutely yes! You can follow the exact steps except it would take a bit longer to cook the chicken in the broth approximately 30-45mins. You can refer to the recipe above.
Can I use boneless skinless chicken breast for the soup?
Yes, of course. But if you are cooking the chicken with the bones it will give you a deeper more delicious broth.
Can I apply chicken drumsticks or thighs in the soup?
Yes, you can. Any edible portion of the chicken can be used. Only you should have enough chicken meat to append to the soup when you shred it.
Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken. The time of cooking can vary depending on how big or small your chicken pieces are but I would begin with 15 minutes and proceed from there.
Why use chicken broth? Can’t I use water instead?
Yes, you can replace the chicken broth with an extra 4 cups of water.
Can I freeze this soup?
If you intend to freeze the soup, check on adding the noodles. Pause to add the noodles when you remove the soup from the freezer and reheat it. The noodles won’t keep up very well when defrosted and recooked.
Product Name: Instant Pot 112-0104-01 6Qt Star Wars Duo 6-Qt. Pressure Cooker, R2-D2, White with Blue R2D2
Product Description: Instant Pot is a smart electric pressure cooker devised by Canadians as a safe, convenient, and dependable mode of cooking food. It speeds up the cooking process by 2~6 times, utilizes up to 70% less energy, and, above all, produces nutritious, healthy food conveniently and consistently. Shipping charges extra to India.
Brand: Instant Pot
Offer price: 99.99
User Review( votes)