Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. We may earn an affiliate commission if you order any product. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
Kathal Ka Achar | Raw Jackfruit Pickle Recipe Indian
Kathal ka achar is a tangy and delicious raw jackfruit pickle made with Jackfruit/kathal. In India, kathal/jackfruit is a seasonal vegetable that grows during the summer.
It is both a fruit as well as a vegetable. In the Northern part of India, it is mainly used as a vegetable, while in the Southern, western, and eastern parts, it is relished as fruit and many sweets and desserts are made from it.
This fruit grows on huge trees and is cultivated in tropical humid and rainy regions. It is high in fiber, vitamins A, B, and C, and has anti-oxidant properties. It also contains potassium, iron, and magnesium in good amounts.
It is crucial to oil your hands and the knife beforehand for easy cleanup when cutting the jackfruit, since the skin is very hard and when the flesh is cut a sticky sap comes out.
Cooks can use the flesh and seeds. The seeds are covered with a thick plastic-like covering so they can be stored easily for a long time. If using the ripe seeds, remember to peel them first.
Please try my Kathal ka achar/jackfruit pickle and let me know how it turned out for you.
How To Prepare Kathal Ka Achar
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Course: Pickles/Achar sidedish
Cuisine: North Indian Cuisine
Author: Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
- 1 kg jackfruit/kathal
- 350 gms Mustard Oil सरसों का तेल [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 2 Raw Mango कच्चा आम
- 5 tbsp Fennel Seeds सौंफ [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 3 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds मेथी दाना [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 5 tbsp Mustard Seeds small राई [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli powder लाल मिर्ची पाउडर [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 2 tbsp Turmeric Powder हल्दी पाउडर [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 4 tbsp normal salt/Himalayan Pink Salt नमक [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- 1 tsp Asafoetida हींग पाउडर [Click to Buy from Amazon]
- To peel Jackfruit, you should apply oil to your hands and knife before peeling the jackfruit and cutting it into medium-sized pieces.
- Jackfruit seeds should be separated. Its skin peeled and sliced in half.
- Boil sufficient water in a container with ½ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt.
- Add the jackfruit pieces and the seeds and cook till ¾ done.
- Put the parboiled jackfruit into a sieve and let all the water drain from the jackfruit.
- The boiled jackfruit should be spread over a cloth in direct sunlight for about five to six hours to remove excess water.
- Grind the fennel and fenugreek seeds coarsely with mustard seeds after roasting them for a few minutes.
- Bring mustard oil to medium temperature by heating it until it starts smoking, then remove it from the flame.
- All the spices mentioned above and the grated raw mango can now be added, and stir-fried the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the jack fruit pieces and mix well.
- Once it has cooled completely, put it in a glass jar and cover with a thin muslin cloth for 24 hours.
- You can start using it after a week of daily exposure to sunlight.
- In order to prevent mold, the pickle should be completely submerged in oil, so add more oil if necessary.
- Double the quantity of mustard seeds if raw mango is not readily available.
- Jackfruit should not be overcooked otherwise it will become mushy when mixed.
- You cannot pickle yellow-colored ripe or semi-ripe jackfruit. Use white or raw jackfruit for pickling.
- It is important to dry the boiled jackfruit properly because water can spoil the pickles very easily. You can additionally add two tablespoons of white vinegar for preservation.
- Make sure the pickle is completely covered in oil.
You Might Want To Try Some More Achar Recipes
- Best Gobi Gajar Shalgam Achar Recipe
- Mixed Vegetable Indian Pickle | Indian Mixed Vegetable Pickle For Winter
- Mango Pickle Recipe, How to Make Mango Pickle | Aam Ka Achar Recipe
- How To Make Fresh Mango Pickle Recipe: Gujarati Style
- Best Organic Haldi Ginger Amba Haldi Mirch Ka Achar । Turmeric Ginger Mango Ginger Chilli Pickle
- Best Stuffed Red Chilli Pickle | Lal Mirch Ka Achar | Lal Mirch Ka Bharwa Achar
- How To Make PICKLE MASALA • ACHAR MASALA • ATHANA NO MASALO
- Best Chicken Pickle Andhra Style | Chicken Avakaya
- Best Andhra Tomato Pickle Recipe |Tomato Pickle Recipe | Tomato Pachadi Recipe | Tomato Achar Recipe
- Best Spicy Green Chilli Pickle Easy Recipe | Hari Mirchi Ka Achar
- Instant Gujarati GolKeri Achar Recipe
- 10 Best Achar and Pickle Recipes of India