Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. We may earn an affiliate commission if you order any product. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
14 Nutritional Benefits Of Bajra (Pearl Millets)
Would you like to fill your plate with healthy options?FoodAllTime
You can solve your confusion by eating different cereals. Bajra (Pearl Millets), a dietary cereal rich in fibre, micronutrients, vitamins, and amino acids, is one such marvel food.
These grains are commonly called millets and contain numerous nutritional benefits for people of all ages, including infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and nursing mothers.
A variety of millets are also used in various forms throughout the globe to enhance the nutritional value of regular meals, including Sorghum (Jowar), Finger Millets (Ragi/Nachni), Proso Millets, Foxtail Millets and Little Millets (samai).
What is Pearl Millet?
A profoundly nutritious and easy-to-digest cereal grain, Pearl Millet is commonly known as bajra.
People who suffer from gluten allergies or celiac disease can use it because it is non-glutinous.
In addition to carbohydrates, it is a powerhouse of essential amino acids, antioxidants, and vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid, niacin, beta carotene, they also contain minerals like iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc.
Health Benefits of Bajra
A 100-gram serving of pearl millet contains:
- Protein – 10.96 gm
- Dietary fibres- 11.49 gm
- Fat contents- 5.43 gm
- Carbohydrates– 61.78 gm
- Energy- 1456 KJ
Pearl Millet Nutritional Health Benefits
1. Suitable for diabetic diets – Pearl millets contain slow-digesting carbohydrates that maintain a stable blood sugar level for a long time. Diabetes patients can enjoy them as a healthy food option.
2. Healthy for the heart – These grains are high in fibre and contain cholesterol-lowering properties.
3. Suitable for celiacs and gluten intolerants – Pearl millet is a gluten-free and easily tolerated diet for people with celiac disease and gluten intolerance.
4. People with frequent acidity and stomach ulcers can benefit from pearl millets – They reduce acidity in the stomach, preventing ulcers and discomfort caused by frequent acidity bouts.
5. Reduces constipation (A good source of fibre) – In addition to promoting good gut health, bajra has other benefits as well.
A simple way to explain it is that you can keep constipation at bay by consuming pearl millets. There is a reason for this: bajra contains insoluble fibre.
Having a good amount of dietary fibres can help ease constipation and promote bulk formation.
6. It is a source of protein for vegetarians – Meat and fish products cannot provide the necessary protein to vegetarians.
Here’s where pearl millets come in. Bajra’s health benefits include providing protein to vegetarians.
In combination with seeds such as rajma, moong dal, chana dal, etc., bajra flour becomes complete.
7. Reduces blood pressure – A major benefit of bajra is its potassium content, which is essential for people with high blood pressure.
When you consume more potassium-rich foods, you will be able to flush out more sodium from your body, lowering your blood pressure as a result.
8. Enhances bone strength – Bajra contains a high amount of phosphorus, which helps strengthen bones.
9. Reduces cholesterol levels – Pearl millets are high in good fats, which are desirable for those with hypercholesterolemia.
10. Suitable for baby food preparations – Pearl millets are easily digestible and well tolerated by little ones, making them an essential ingredient for baby food preparations during the weaning process.
11. Antioxidant-rich – Reduces free radical damage in the body and helps prevent early aging, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cardiovascular disease, and wound healing.
12. Pearl Millets are ideal for weight management and obesity- It consists of high-fibre content and is low in glycemic index.
It also has a low glycaemic load, making it an excellent grain to be included in the diets of people with diabetes or metabolic syndrome.
Pearl millet helps keep your energy level consistent throughout the day, aiding you in avoiding unhealthy snacks.
13. Assists in preventing colon cancer – It reduces the risk of colon cancer by alkalizing the stomach pH.
14. Ideal for pregnant women- Due to its iron and folic acid content, this food is an excellent choice for pregnant and nursing women.
The Best Way To Consume Pearl Millet
There are various forms of pearl millets and bajra available for consumption on a daily basis.
The flour can be used to make flatbreads or dosas, while the grains can be used to make porridge, processed grains like poha and upma for breakfast, and ready-to-eat snacks like millet or multigrain cookies.
In addition to its immense health benefits, bajra is an ideal superfood for everyone to consume regularly.
To make a balanced diet, combine your favorite millet recipe with protein-rich dishes containing lentils, cottage cheese, soya chunks, fresh fruits, and a vegetable smoothie or salsa.
Nurtitional Pear Millet: Bajra flour $14.89
Product Name: Bajri Flour 2lb
Product Description: Pear Millet (Bajra) flour to make your breads ans indian flatbread
Brand: DEEP Store
Offer price: 14.89