Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. We may earn an affiliate commission if you order any product. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
Khandvi Recipe | Besan Ki Khandvi Recipe | Gujarati Khandvi Recipe
It is also served as breakfast in Gujarati households. Khandvi is one of the most popular Gujarati snacks. It is made from chickpea flour and tempered with green chilies. You can make it yourself by following these steps.
Khandvi is a popular Gujarati Farsaan or snack that I am sure you have heard of if you are a foodie.
Almost every Gujarati restaurant serves Khandvi, which is a snack made from chickpea flour. This snack is also sold by many street vendors in Gujarat.
This snack is slowly and steadily becoming popular all over India due to its impeccable taste and easy process. Almost all Gujarati households make this on a regular basis, not only for snacks, but also for breakfast.
Khandvi Rolls are made with cooked chickpeas and other ingredients and rolled into soft, melt-in-your-mouth rolls.
Chickpea flour gives the rolls a slight raw taste, which is later tempered to enhance the flavor.
The tempering gives this rolled up tender snack great flavor and the green chilies add a little heat.
A Khandvi Roll is made with buttermilk, besan or chickpea flour, salt, turmeric powder, green chili paste, ginger, and lemon juice.
The perfect amount of spiciness and tanginess is added to these tender rolls by adding green chilli paste and lemon juice. Turmeric powder gives the rolls a beautiful yellow hue.
Khandvi Rolls are tempered with a delicious tadka consisting of sesame seeds, mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves, and green chillies.
Add some grated coconut and coriander leaves to the Khandvi Rolls once you’ve poured the tadka.
Khandvi In The Cooker: How To Make It?
Put your batter into the bowl that you will be placing inside the pressure cooker once it is ready for the khandvi.
Cover the pressure cooker with a lid after adding 1½ cups of water and placing the batter bowl inside.
Let the cooker cook on medium heat for five to six whistles. Once the pressure has been released naturally, turn off the heat. Ensure the batter is hot before spreading it; otherwise, it won’t spread.
Spread the batter quickly onto the thali before it cools down by stirring it vigorously once it is smooth. The khandvi should be tempered after it has cooled down and been cut and rolled.
Khandvi In The Microwave: How To Make It?
Place the batter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for three minutes. You should microwave the mixture on high for approximately 5 minutes, stirring once or twice in between with a whisk after every 1½ seconds.
Let it cool for three to four minutes on the plate after it is ready. Temper the khandvi after it has been cut and rolled.
How To Make Gujarati Khandvi Recipe
Khandvi is a popular Gujarati snack that is also served for breakfast in Gujarati households. Made with chickpea flour, it is later tempered with a green chilli tadka. Here is how to make it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Author: Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
- ½ cup Chickpea flour
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Ginger and green chilli paste
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 8-10 Curry leaves fresh
- 2 Green chilli (slit into halves)
- 2 tsp Fresh coriander (chopped)
- 2 tsp Fresh coconut (grated)
- Mix chickpea flour, buttermilk, salt, turmeric powder, ginger and green chilli paste and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Take care not to form any lumps.
- If a few lumps are there, just strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Grease a smooth work surface very lightly. (I used my kitchen counter. You can also grease the back side of steel plates or a baking tray. )
- Heat the mixture on medium heat till it thickens to the right consistency. (It will take approx 30-35 minutes. To test if the mixture is done, pour a drop of it on a plate and spread it a little bit and let it cool. Now try to roll it. If it rolls, the mixture has reached the right consistency. Otherwise, keep cooking it a little more.)
- Keep mixing continuously otherwise; the mixture will burn from the bottom.
- Pour the mixture on the greased platform.
- Quickly spread the mixture in a thin layer using a spatula or spoon.
- Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Cut into thin stripes and roll the stripes.
- For tadka/tempering, heat oil in a pan.
- After the oil has been heated, add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add sesame seeds, hing/heeng, curry leaves and green chilli.
- Pour the tadka over the khandvis.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and grated coconut.
Gujarati Khandvi Recipe Tips
- There can be no Khandvi recipe without Buttermilk, which is an essential ingredient. There is no vegan version of this recipe.
- It tastes best if Khandvi is made fresh and served. The leftovers, however, can be stored for a couple of days in an airtight container.
- Keep the Khandvi in the refrigerator after it has cooled down fully.
- A piping hot cup of Masala Chai or any other beverage of your choice should be served with Khandvi at tea time, accompanied by Coriander and Mint Chutney and Kairi or Dhaniya Ki Chutney.
- Other Gujarati Farsaans such as Patra, Dhokla, Fafda, Khakra, or Gathia can also be served with it.
Every Gujarati household serves this dish as a side dish with every meal. Before you roll them up, you can add cheese or spinach to the batter to make stuffed Khandvi.
You Might Want To Try Some More Snacks & Salad Recipes
- Cornflakes Namkeen | Cornflakes Mixture | Cornflakes Chivda
- How To Cook Best Homemade Nachos Chips
- Best Mini Pizzas Recipe: A Perfect Snack
- Easy Potato Bake Recipe In Oven And Microwave
- Simple And Easy Stuffed Potatoes Recipe 3 Variations
- Super Easy Paneer Pakora Recipe and Hari Chutney [With Video]
- Refreshingly Delicious Macaroni and Coconut Salad (Khao Pad Mor Mee)
- Yummy Mexican Salad with Nacho Chips
- Roasted Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Nutritious Tossed Salad with Stir-fried Mushroom
- Couscous Salad With Roasted Vegetable And Mixed Herbs
- How To Cook Easy Traditional Greek Salad Recipe
Ease of Cooking
Availability of Ingredients
User Review( votes)