Cabbage With Mustard Seeds
How To Make Cabbage With Mustard Seeds
This is a typical South Indian way of cooking cabbage that I learnt from my neighbours who were Keralites. It's quick to make when you have sudden guests.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Servings 4 people
Calories 25 kcal
- Cabbage 1 med
- Onions 1-2 small
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Olive Oil 2 tsp
- Grated coconut for garnishing
- Coriander for garnishing
Chop some cabbage and onions.
Heat some oil. Sprinkle Mustard Seeds as tempering and let it splutter.
Add curry leaves and green chili and stir it a little till the aroma fills your nostrils.
Now add cabbage and onions and cover the lid immediately.
Heat it on a medium flame.
Now cook it till the cabbage turns a little tender and add salt to taste.
Serve it as a crunchy side dish.
Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander
Tips and Variations
- You can add potatoes if you are a potato lover but they should be diced thin as per the cabbage.
- Cook the potatoes them a little sautéing and then add the cabbage.
- If cooking without the potato then the cabbage just needs to be cooked for about 5-7 mins with lid and its done.
- You can add grated ginger if you want a variation in taste.
- It can also be used as a filling in quesadillas.
- Many people add this to pasta by tossing it along and make it a main dish.
- The next time you use mustard seeds, remember you’re having a plateful of benefits. Hope you can put the information shared through this recipe to use. Please leave us your comments below. Thank you!