Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. We may earn an affiliate commission if you order any product. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
How To Make Cabbage With Mustard Seeds
This cabbage with mustard seed dish is great to have in your arsenal because you can cook it in 5 minutes flat and makes a great addition to an Indian vegetarian meal.
You can add some variation to it when you are making a curry dish with rice and raita and suddenly feel the need for one more dish to the menu or if you have sudden guests.
Everything in the cabbage family goes great with mustard, so mustard seeds are the primary flavouring.
If using mustard oil, you can use that instead of the vegetable oil and reduce the seeds by half.
You can also use olive oil or any vegetable oil or ghee that you want while cooking this dish.
Be sure and have all of the chopping done and your spices and curry leaves ready beforehand because once the mustard seeds hit the oil and they start sputtering, you have to be swift to add the cabbage or the seeds will burn up in the oil.
Printable Recipe To Make Cabbage With Mustard Seeds
This is a typical South Indian way of cooking cabbage that I learnt from my neighbours who were Keralites. It’s quick to make when you have sudden guests.
Course Side Dish
Cuisine Indian, South Indian
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Servings 4 people
Calories 25 kcal
Author Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
- Cabbage 1 med
- Onions 1-2 small
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Olive Oil 2 tsp
- Grated coconut for garnishing
- Coriander for garnishing
- Chop some cabbage and onions.
- Heat some oil. Sprinkle Mustard Seeds as tempering and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves and green chili and stir it a little till the aroma fills your nostrils.
- Now add cabbage and onions and cover the lid immediately.
- Heat it on a medium flame.
- Now cook it till the cabbage turns a little tender and add salt to taste.
- Serve it as a crunchy side dish.
- Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander
Tips and Variations
- You can add potatoes if you are a potato lover but they should be diced thin as per the cabbage.
- Cook the potatoes them a little sautéing and then add the cabbage.
- If cooking without the potato then the cabbage just needs to be cooked for about 5-7 mins with lid and its done.
- You can add grated ginger if you want a variation in taste.
- It can also be used as a filling in quesadillas.
- Many people add this to pasta by tossing it along and make it a main dish.
- The next time you use mustard seeds, remember you’re having a plateful of benefits.
- Hope you can put the information shared through this recipe to use. Please leave us your comments below. Thank you!