Affiliate Disclosure: Every purchase made through our affiliate links earns us a pro-rated commission without any additional cost to you. Here are more details about our affiliate disclosure.
Behrouz Biryani: The Best Royal Chicken Biryani (Copycat Version) | Behrouz Style Veg Biryani
The Biryani that was Worth a War, is Definitely Worth a Try!Behrouz (Food & drink company)
It is said that a magical kingdom called Behrouz existed 2000 years ago and that its recipe of layered rice and secret spices made it popular around the world.
Commonly known today as biryani, this Indian dish enticed both kings and masses.
It is said that the recipe was lost forever when King Cyrus laid siege to Behrouz until it was discovered amongst the ruins.
With this special post, I bring to you the copycat version of the lost recipe of homemade Behrouz Biryani.
Unlike the typical Indian/Pakistani version of biryani, its aromatic spices are subtle and ample raisins, and cashew nuts bring the royal touch.
I had the original biryani and was so overcome by the taste that I gave my son 100 marks for his tastebuds. Though my recipe won’t be 100% the same as that of the restaurant, it will hit pretty close.
This way, you don’t have to shell out loads of cash for the whole family to enjoy it, and you can make it within your budget.
However, the spices are subtle, the raisins and cashew nuts add a royal touch, and the aroma is unlike usual Indian or Pakistani biryani.
Behrouz Biryani is not for someone looking for only an onion and tomato concoction in terms of quality and quantity.
I would recommend you to use chicken with bones for more flavor.
How To Make Behrouz Biryani: The Royal Chicken Biryani (Copycat Version)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
Marination time: 30 min
Total time: 1H30M
Serving: 6 servings
Author: Ranjeeta Nath Ghai
Ingredients To Make Behrouz Biryani
- 1 kg chicken (boneless/with bones is your choice)
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup cashew paste
- ½ cup almond paste
- 2 tbsp Kewda
- 3 tsp FoodAllTime garam masala
- 2 tbsp FoodAllTime green paste
- 2 fresh tomatoes puree or 2 tbsp dried tomato powder
- 2 tsp Everest Kashmiri lal chili powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp Everest chicken masala
- 1-star anise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 400 gms curd
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp fresh cream
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups long-grained basmati rice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1-star anise
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 2 bay leaf
- 2½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ghee
- 4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 pinch BOLDVEDA Organic Kashmiri Saffron
- ¼ tsp tandoori red food color (if Saffron is not available)
- ¼ tsp yellow food color
For Frying Onion
- 5 onions thinly sliced
- 3 cups olive oil
- ¼ cup Fried cashew nuts
- ¼ cup Soaked raisins.
Instructions To Make Behrouz Biryani
- Wash and cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Take a vessel in which the biryani will be cooked
- Now add all the ingredients given under ‘the marination’ heading and mix everything by hand so that all the spices are well integrated into each other.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for half an hour for marination.
- While the chicken is being marinated let us prepare the spiced rice.
- Add all the mentioned spices under the ‘for rice’ heading with a squeeze of lemon to the rice and put it to boil and a squeeze of lemon. (This adds fragrance to the biryani rice.)
- The rice should be cooked only up to 80%. The 20% will be cooked under dum with the chicken.
- In the meantime take three cups of olive oil and fry the onions in small batches and keep them aside. (All the while you are frying the onions your chicken is being marinated and your eyes would have been ready 80%.) The oil that is left over after flying onions will be used up later.
- Drain the spiced rice but do not throw away the spiced water that is left out of the rice.
- By now your chicken has been marinated well and you can now keep it on fire and allow it to cook on medium heat.
- Once the chicken is 80% done then put out the heat.
- Infused the chicken with a smoky aroma follow the DHUNGAR METHOD and cover with lid.
- Add half of the fried onions. Spread it out over the chicken.
- Now on top of the fried onions add the rice that was cooked 80%.
- Take one cup of water of the spiced rice water that you had kept aside and add it to the rice.
- Mix the saffron/food colors separately in 2 small containers in 2 teaspoons of water and keep them aside. In a cup, dissolve 1 pinch of this red spice, such as saffron, in 10 to 12 strands of threads in water with a pinch of sugar and salt. You may also use milk instead of water. In a cup, soak a pinch of this pricey spice in 3-4 tablespoons of milk for 20 minutes.
- After the rise has been added over the marination add the saffron/food colors in two separate lines parallel to each other, in the center, or in a semicircle the way you like it.
- Add the remaining fried onions on top of the rice.
- Pour in 4 tbsp of the remaining onion oil over the rice in a circular motion.
- Now cover the pot with two big sheets of aluminum foil on alternative angles and seal them on the sides. Cover with a lid and place a grinding stone or a heavyweight on it to avoid the vapors from leaking out and the Biryani cooks in them.
- If you do not have the Aluminium foil then alternatively you can use needed to seal the mouth of the pot and the late.
- Take a Tava or a girdle and heat it on full.
- Once heated place the sealed biryani vessel on top of that and lower the heat.
- Allow it to cook for 10 to 15 minutes in which time you may now start cleaning up your kitchen. While you clean your kitchen in 15 minutes your dum Biryani would be ready and you may turn off the heat and allow it to cook in the standing time for all the flavors to get mixed.
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts and soaked raisins.
- Serve hot with Mirchi salan or with raita.
- 1 bowlbig size aldante boil Rice
- 1 cup chop carrot
- 1 cup sweetcorn kennel
- 1 cup peas
- 2 potatoes
- 1 bowl Broccoli
- 1 bowl cauliflower
- 2 tbsp chop coriander
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 1/2cup of fried cashews and raisin
- 2-3 drops of Orange, and Yellow food colour
- 3 onion sliced
- 3 onion diced cut
- 2 tbsp Kewda essence
- 2 tbsp Pinewood essence
- 1 cup tomato puree fresh
- to taste salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick crushed
- 2 cloves crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 pinch asfoetida
- 1 cup fried paneer cubes
- 1 big bowl curd
- 2 tsp fresh cream
- 1 cup oil
Same as above instead of chicken use vegetables
You Might Like Related Recipes
- Learn How To Cook Non-Vegan Fried Rice In Minutes!
- Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe / Hyderabadi Dum Biryani Recipe
- Mouthwatering Mughlai Chicken Dum Biryani
- How To Cook Simple And Easy Palak Ka Raita | Spinach Raita | Bathua Ka Raita
- Scrumptious Flavoured Lemon Rice Pilaf
- Easy Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe | Biryani Salan | Mirchi Salan | Hyderabadi Salan
Natural Kewra Pani
Product Name: Sierra Pure and Natural Kewra Pani (Pandanas Pani) - 100 ml
Product Description: This is 100% pure kewra water and can be used in pudding, dessert, food and sweet preparations. Can also be used for fragrance in home linens, towels, fragrance diffusers, or face mist. It is suitable for food purposes (100% dehydrated).
Offer price: 178
Value for money
User Review( votes)